Monday, October 5, 2009

Not running.

I guess I didn’t run with this blog the way I had planned on it. You know me, I don’t like to do anything for longer than a week at a time…


I was home this weekend to support my mom and dad in the Bald Eagle Mountain Megatransect. I did it last year, but I only made it through 8 miles before I cried like a bratty child and had my ass carted off the mountain. (I still say that if I had known they had Raisinets and peanut M&Ms at the first checkpoint, I would have hauled ass up that mountain.) I felt guilty for not doing it this year, but not guilty enough to make an actual effort to get ready for it and do it.


Anyway.


As my sisters and I were driving into the finish line to meet my parents, I saw a man with a prosthetic leg finishing up the hike. Yes. A man with a prosthetic leg could finish a 25-mile hike. I couldn’t. I made every excuse in the world as to why I couldn’t do it this year and I really had no good reason. He had every excuse in the world not to do it but he made the conscious effort to do it.


I found out yesterday that the guy who finished first completed the course in 4 hours and 20 minutes. He is 48 years old.


Do we see the problem here?


I’m 25. I should be in the best shape of my life. And I’m not. I’m not even close. My God, I got winded walking up a short hill to watch my parents come down the road.


If this is not an eye opener, then I should sit on the couch and eat Twinkies and Ho-Hos until I suffocate in fat..


So, moral of the story.. yesterday, I signed up for a Planet Fitness membership. I pass one on my way to and from work every morning. If guilt doesn’t get me, then nothing will.
I went today and I busted my ass. I ran 7 mph sprints and 15% inclines. I thought it was interesting that walking at a 15% incline at 2 mph brought my heart rate up to 181, but a 7 mph sprint only brought it up to 170. I don’t do stuff like this. I was going to time myself on the mile, but I kept messing up the treadmill. Comfortably, I can walk at 3 mph. I need to get this up to 4.


I’m already sore as hell, but it feels good to have actually done something today. Something positive.


Ohhhhhh fat girl, you go girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment